Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I'm an Idiot.

Well, whatever sort of insanity grips consumers prior to Christmas finally got me- although for less than an hour, and I didn't actually buy anything. Received word that a local electronics chain (which shall remain nameless, the initials being "Best Buy") was getting a shipment of the scarce Nintendo "Wii" video game machine at 4PM. The store apparently gets shipments of 16 machines on Tuesday and Saturday. When I called to confirm, the individual stated that it would be best if I showed up "-a little before 4." Ha.

I arrived at the store a bit past 3, and inquire as to where I might get in line to wait for the item in question. I was told to repair to the cluster of balloons floating above the piles of merchandise on the far side of the store. I went to the indicated spot, and was thunderstruck to see at least 50 people standing, sitting on the floor and in the store's display lounge chairs, even lying down, all looking at me like deer in the headlights, presumably concerned lest I try to jump the line. I gave a somewhat involuntary laugh, and said something to the effect of "50 people for 16 machines? I think not." And I turned on my heel and left.

It didn't bother me, it was actually what I expected. Lesson learned, never again.

The cream of the jest didn't play out until I got home, where I learned from my eldest son that while I was out braving the anthill of free-enterprise retail that is our local Heart of Darkness, he had received an alert that they were in stock at an on-line retailer (which shall remain nameless, if you don't know the name of the largest river in South America). With a few keystrokes, he accomplished what an hour and two gallons of $3 gasoline had failed to do. If this is the future of consumption, I'm for it.

No comments: