Friday, January 30, 2009

Sidetracked

I'm afraid my initial impression of President Obama -that of a politician who has the best appearance and presence of any president since Warren G. Harding, and a better speaking voice than any politician I can remember hearing- has been coupled in the days since his election by a sense of "nobody home."
This man has gone into office with significant political capital (which can never be repeated), simply by virtue of his race. And this week he has spent valuable time 1) chiding the opposition party for listening to a popular radio talk-show host, and 2) criticizing the bonuses paid to corporate executives. Neither of these actions is of any importance whatever. I find it impossible to believe that any inhabitant of the White House fears Rush Limbaugh, and the provisions of existing contracts (which the bonuses of the executives in question surely must be) are simply none of his business. I can only conclude (at least I hope!) that these are simply filler material, perhaps diversions of some kind.
Something about Obama has seemed familiar to me since he came to prominence last year, and I finally figured out what it was. He sounds and talks like every good used car salesman I've ever listened to, hoping the volume of his rhetoric will overcome that rattle in the valve train, or the gurgle indicating oatmeal in the radiator.
What should the president be doing? For starters, how about making sure the various energy initiatives begun in the last few years are maintained and go forward? With the current slump to $2 gasoline, many are already fading fast. But I've seen.....nothing.

No comments: