Saturday, March 8, 2008

My Brewing Skills

Homebrewing is an underrated activity. It's just another form of cooking, basically, with enough lab sanitizing procedures thrown in to create flashbacks to my blithe college daze in bac-T lab. With a little care, and the sources of ingredients available on the Internet, it's possible to produce quite a palatable product. So far, we're drinking a Copper Ale (something like a Killian's or a Leinenkugel Red, but better than either), an Octane IPA -not too heavy on the hops- and a Lemon Coriander Weiss, which is a crisp product that goes well with lunch or in the middle of the day.

I bottled a Power Pack Porter on Wednesday, and will rack a batch of Amarillo Ale today (I'm not that sure how this one will turn out, except that it should be in the Pale Ale category). I still have 5 gallons of Noble Trappist Ale maturing in a secondary fermentation vessel. I'll leave it in there about two months, and bottle the first week of April......should be drinking it by mid-summer.

It's more fun to drink something you've made yourself.

No comments: